Being out in the garden, whether it’s to work in the dirt or to enjoy a nice cup of tea, is always a nice time. Sometimes the sun that’s feeding all of your lovely greenery can be a bit much though, so it’s nice to have a little bit of shade from time to time.
That’s where the banana, or cantilever, parasol comes in! It’s the perfect addition to any garden or patio area and we’ve got all the information you need to make an informed parasol purchase decision right here.
Banana Parasols ComparisonTable could not be displayed.
Our top choice for anyone looking for a solid, affordable and all-around quality banana parasol is Bentley’s three-meter hanging banana patio parasol.
It is offered in a nice variety of colors so you’re sure to find the one that fits your style and setup. The frames are made from powder-coated steel and the umbrella canopy is made from 160-gram polyester fabric.
- It weighs only 12 kilos so it’s easy for nearly everyone in the family to pick up and move around the backyard or lawn.
- Versatility and portability mean that you can also bring it with you up to your cabin, by the lake or even for a day-trip to the beach.
- There is some assembly required but the people at Bentley have done a great job making this user friendly because it’s really a simple bit of work to put it together.
- It is very affordable compared to some of the other options in this quality range.
- It offers good durability.
- It will take a little bit of strength to lift the lever arm and to lock the banana parasol into place.
- You will need to screw it into the ground or purchase sandbags or some other kind of weight to keep this down because it is lightweight.
This entry from Purple Leaf is the most attractive premium option for a banana parasol on the market today so far as we’re concerned.
It boasts a double-top canopy design that is very aesthetically-pleasing, so much so that this product could actually be used confidently for both residential and professional use.
- It includes the option to rotate the canopy a full 365 degrees so there is no limit on where people can be sitting relative to the banana parasol.
- Setting up is simple, fast and exactly according to the instructions that come with it.
- It comes with a cover included which can be used for storing the parasol. It can also be used while it is outside and unused during a particularly biting wind.
- It is built from aluminum umbrella bones to go with the eight heavy-duty ribs.
- It is spray-painted with anti-oxidation spray to help maintain the parasol’s look for longer periods, allowing for a longer life.
- The canopy is made from 100 percent polyester fabric that is UV resistant, waterproof and colorfast.
- There are many different angles to choose from as well as six different height settings.
- Weights will be necessary whether it’s a windy day or not. They do not come included with the purchase of the banana parasol. Purple Leaf sells a base for this banana parasol separately as well.
- It is sturdy but doesn’t hold up in strong winds because of its large size.
Our bonus pick is the Schallen three-meter hanging sun parasol. Even though it doesn’t beat our top two options, it is a high-quality and affordable banana parasol in its own right.
This cantilever parasol is built with a strong and sturdy metal pole and base combo that is equipped with six finish frames in the ribs to make weight-bearing easier.
- The frame and pole are coated with rust-resistant powder.
- It comes in three lovely colors: navy blue, dark green and light grey. This allows you to choose whichever style best fits your garden or patio setup.
- The fabric is made from 160-gram polyester.
- It is designed with a very simple and easy-to-use cranking mechanism to open up your parasol and to close it down with relative ease.
- The banana parasol has been fitted with an air vent that encourages airflow. This prevents any wind buildup significant enough to cause issues for the parasol.
- It is better suited for calm garden, or patio setups as it does not respond very well to strong gales or gusts of wind.
There are, of course, other lovely and affordable banana parasols out there but based on our extensive research, it doesn’t get much better than these. As to which one is the cream of the crop, it is clear that the Bentley three-meter hanging banana patio parasol comes out on top. The only real downside to this parasol is that the weights need to be purchased separately.
Otherwise, there aren’t many flaws to write home about. Its lightweight construction and versatility make it a great option whether at home or traveling. It’s one of the simplest parasols to put together after purchase which holds true for the banana as well as traditional variants. It’s also sold at an exceedingly affordable price without skimping on durability or quality. It also offers good canopy flexibility, whether that’s side to side or up and down.
Portability, versatility, and affordability; what more could you ask for in a banana parasol?
Here’s some factors to consider to help your purchase decision if you’re still reluctant.
How To Choose The Best Banana Parasol For You
Most people are not parasol experts and some may never even have heard of the banana parasol before. It’s about time everyone did because not only are they great and ingenious products but they are all the rage right now!
What’s The Difference Between a Banana and a Traditional Parasol?
If you ever hear the words ‘cantilever’ or ‘hanging’ when discussing parasols or umbrellas, they’re talking about banana parasols. The main difference between these kinds of umbrellas or parasols and the traditional ones that are more common among most people is the location of the parasol’s base.
With traditional parasols, you’ve got a bulky base for your umbrella under the center of your table with the center pole coming up through a hole in the table, at the top of which will be your shade-providing umbrella.
However, the banana parasol base, unlike the traditional one, is off to the side, out of sight and out of mind. While they do need a weighted base of their own—they can be nailed or screwed down into the deck—the long, sometimes curved, pole that attaches to the stem and carries the umbrella across and over the spot where you’re sitting (which is what gives it its ‘banana’ name) keeps the mechanism of the parasol out of the way.
With this setup, you’ll have a much more open space for your patio or garden parties while avoiding any obstruction to your garden and flower friends. You’ll be able to enjoy your patio or garden area without the obstructive pole of a traditional parasol ruining the view and the atmosphere.
Benefits of a Banana Parasol
There are countless benefits to getting yourself a banana parasol so long as you’ve done your homework and know what you want out of your purchase. One of the most evident positives of the banana parasol is the fact that it has a new, unique and aesthetic look to it that can really boost the style and feel of your backyard, garden or patio setup.
The style, shape and construction of the banana parasol is also much more conducive to a fun get together with family and friends. The parasol doesn’t obstruct anyone’s view of anyone else and it allows for a more free space for conversation and enjoyment. Not to mention that the shade can keep all of your precious beverages nice and cool while you’re out enjoying the warm weather.
Banana parasols are also a great investment because of their versatility. You don’t have to keep them in the same place, static over one eating or sitting area. You can move them to the lawn to keep the kids protected while they play or to any spot with too much sun and enough space.
While umbrellas often come as part of a backyard patio set, banana parasols can often be found for purchase on their own. This makes for a much happier wallet. Below are three of our favorite banana parasols out on the market today for affordability and quality!